Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Violets in the chilly spring

Sometimes at church we do "secret pals" - you know the plan - send little treats, pretty cards, fun things to your secret pal over the one or two months time, then have a party and discover who everyone's secret pals were - it is quite fun - to shop for your secret pal, and at times like today, to have a special treat delivered to your office.

One of the lockshop guys walked into my office carrying a little pink gift bag. "Someone brought this for you" he said.

Inside was a little green straw basket holding a little pot of purple violets, (which are now adorning my desk) , a little card indicating it was from my "SP" and this sweet little poem from a book "Sing Song, a Nursery Rhyme Book" written before 1873!


"Oh wind, where have you been, that you blow so sweet?
Among the violets which blossom at your feet.

The honeysuckle waits for summer and for heat,
But violets in the chilly spring make the turf so sweet. "


Thank you to my secret pal - it was a bright spot in my day, and a reminder that even in these coldest of days, that spring will come.


MONI Update - The Shepherd brought her home from the hospital in her new green sweatshirt - she was very glad to see her girlfriends and proceeded to eat and eat. But we're not out of the woods yet - because it's so cold, and because Moni is confined to a small pen in the barn sp he can give her medication, the rest of the girls have also been locked in the barn (he also didn't want Moni to freak when everyone else left the barn for the pasture). They're not too happy about it, but I guess that's life when you're a sheep. They'll get out tomorrow - it's supposed to get up in the high 40's and be sunny all day. Yeah!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I am so glad to hear about Moni. Have been thinking about her and you both all day today.
ProBios and Vitamin B will help her along in her recovery. I do hope the weather will warm up so the cold won't stress her too much. She'll fit right in with her sweater. :)
Hugs...
(Next week I'd actually be able to call again!)

Sharon said...

I absolutely love violets and hope in the not-to-distant future to finally have a spot amenable to growing them so I can see them for myself!

Donna said...

I am SO glad Moni is on the road to recovery. The way she's eating it sounds like she will be just fine!