Saturday, December 08, 2007

Better news -

And news it is when I finally get to a Spindrifter Spinner Guild meeting. It always seems like other things get put on the calendar and crowd it out. We had a great meeting and people brought some very cool Show and Tell items -- Do you think that I remembered to take my camera? No. We also talked a little about the Black Sheep Creamery flood victims and voted to send them $100. I was touched by the group's generosity.

I have almost two bobbins full for my project that shall not be named. I am layering grey shetland and kind of a mauve verigated combed silk that I got at the Black Sheep Gathering a couple of years ago. It is turning out really nice for my first project, and I am getting excited to get it done. (BTW, we're making plans to go to the BSG again this year - we had to miss it last year because of John's health issues. I already have a little stash of fiber that I've gotten in past years, now that I'm kind of getting into this spinning thing, it may be a dangerous place for me to be!!! All those vendors - oh, boy!)

We always have a yummy potluck - today, one lady even made potato latkas right there - I took "Reah's 3 Step Salad" - I thought I had posted the recipe before, but couldn't find it so here it is:


Reah's 3 Step Salad

1/2 cup sliced almonds
3 Tbsp. sugar

6 c. torn Romaine lettuce (I used the Fresh Express Butter Lettuce Salad – It has some baby greens in it to, so it is colorful and tasty)
1 cup sliced celery
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
3 green onions, sliced

First Step is the Dressing:
1/2 cup veg. oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in a jar so you can shake it up really well before you put it on the salad. (BTW: if you don't normally keep dry mustard or garlic powder in your kitchen, look in the bulk foods section of your grocery store = you can generally purchase only a tablespoon or so for just a few cents rather than buying a whole can or jar of something that you'd not use in the future)

Second Step: I use a Teflon coated skillet for this part - Combine the sliced almonds and the sugar. Cook over medium heat stiring until the nuts are toasted and lightly coated with melted sugar. This takes 10 or 15 minutes - don't hurry it or your sugar will burn. Spread the coated nuts on foil to cool - break apart when cooled. (I actually double this part of the recipe so I have some extras for munching....)

Third Step: In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, celery, onions & oranges. JUST BEFORE SERVING, top with the sugared almonds. Shake your dressing well again and pour over the salad - toss gently.

To take this to a party, combine your lettuce, onions & celery. Take the oranges, nuts & dressing separately & combine JUST BEFORE serving - otherwise, your lettuce will get limp an the sugar will melt off the nuts, and we wouldn't want that to happen.

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Maybe you ought to consider joining the Online Guild of Weavers, Spinners, and Dyers! It's the perfect guild for busy fiber persons.

Kathy said...

I am so glad to see you getting active with going to guild meetings, etc.! :) I'll bet you got a lot of help and suggestions AND support! What's this about a "stash"? What about the "stash" The Shepherd has??? Or won't he let you have any of HIS stash? LOL!!!

Around Your Wrist said...

your salad sounds major yummy.

i'm glad to read that your guild is supportive of the folks in lewis county. my brother drove through there today and said you couldn't really tell that anything had happened.

that's just from the freeway, though. i imagine that the damage will impact folks and business there for months.

{{{tina}}}
toni