Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Pure Bliss

The Shepherd had been cleaning house, making room for the tools and toys that he will need for his new gardening business and so he has taken a bunch of old fleeces to Gretchen's Wool Works - one of them being this beautiful moorit fleece. The exciting news is that Gretchen recently upgraded her mill so she can do TA-DA! ROVING!!! - And it is VERY nice too!

In fact, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it - I pulled about 10 yards off the bump and went to work.

This is how it spun up - wow, like a dream - and here is the rub - (big frowny face...) he had already planned that this fiber was for sale. We will have it at my spinner guild's SPIN-IN on the 13 of March. Oh well. There are two more Shetland fleeces he wants me to work on, and I had Gretchen process two fleeces that I had picked up - one Icelandic that I had her blend with some Alpaca of almost the exact same moorit color and another Alpaca fleece - I have to spin these up to sell the yarn (hopefully) - on our Washington Wool dot Net web site.

Here is some other Alpaca/Icelandic blend that I've been practicing on - what do you think? (it hasn't been washed yet so it has kind of an edge to it - hopefully it will soften up a little.)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sure glad my husband doesn't decide who I get to spin and who I have to sell!

Tina T-P said...

Well, he is The Shepherd and they are his sheep. I just get to borrow them for photo opportunities.. ha ha...

Besides that - I'm still about 8-10 fleeces backlogged in my Shetland spinning - it's just that spinning roving is so much easier than spinning from batts...T.

Sharon said...

I think your yarn is perfect. You're spinning is very even. I'm not sure I would pair Icelandic and Alpaca - interesting choice.

Kathy said...

I am so very tickled, T! You're spinning is wonderful! And it's been a real pleasure to watch you bloom into the spinner some of us knew you were all along. :)
Keep at it! It's beautiful!

Leigh said...

Beautiful yarn, gorgeous color!

A garden business sounds like a great idea. I hope it prospers.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous wool and yarn- congratulations to you both!