Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Is there a Patron Saint for Lost Earrings?

This sweet little earring was my Valentine's present from The Shepherd - Actually the PAIR of earrings was my present -

We got them a couple of weeks ago when we went on a "Saturday Drive" - something that we haven't had a chance to do for a long time - both have been so busy on the weekends -

We stopped in LaConner at the Skagit (pronounce the "g" like you would in "George") county museum where they were having an exhibit of NW Native American Arts & Crafts - really some beautiful weaving and carvings - and I fell in love with this little pair of earrings. If you click on the picture to biggify it, you will see that the brown "thing" at the top of the earring is actually a rose made out of cedar bark ribbons. With the turquoise butterfly, I thought it was a nice combination of NW & SW Indian art - but they have kind of a funny bend on the wire and the times that I have worn them, I have caught the one almost coming out of my ear a couple of times - so I don't know why I didn't snag a couple of the "rubber grommets" that I have on some of my other earrings that do that, just didn't think about it I guess.

Well the other day when I got home, I realized that I only had one earring. Oh man, I was so mad and so disappointed - I had only worn them twice and already one was gone.

I imagined it somewhat like a lost animal - "Oh, here I am - don't you see me?" - We looked all along the driveway and I shook out my vest and coat - no luck. Darn. And I knew that if it was lost in the parking lot at work the guys would probably just walk right by it (that is if they didn't step on it first)...not real observant, those guys...

Well, the Patron Saint of Lost Earrings must have heard my prayers - when I got to work. I tried as much as I could to retrace my steps from the night before - no earring - but when I got to my office and looked around - THERE IT WAS, on the floor under my desk. How lucky was that???

Next time, I'll be more careful!

OLYMPIC UPDATE: One of my co-workers and his family spent the day in Vancouver yesterday at the Olympic village. They had a fabulous time - walked about 12 miles - visited all the "Hospitality Rooms", and just generally had a bang up time for "O" dollars. No time for watching Olympics tonight - it was choir practice then doing some computer work - but the Canadians got another GOLD - good for them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, you are lucky! The Patron Saint for Lost Earrings does not like me for some reason. I have a bunch of single earrings waiting for their mate to magically appear, some for many years. I should probably give up, huh?

Michelle said...

Hurray for you! Now, rubber grommets from now on, okay? Thanks for putting Kathy and Ralph's news on the NWShetlands list so I could contact Kathy....

Kathy said...

Michelle's right! Grommet those earrings, Lady! Boy, are you lucky!...can I rub your head so some rubs off on me? ;)

Sharon said...

On the ear wires, you can make them "safer" by tightening that loop with needle nose pliers so that the wire is almost to the earring. I don't know why they make them so wide. It's just too easy to lose an earring, especially one that doesn't weight much.