Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Chili kind of day

I know it might seem odd, but in the 40 odd years that I've been cooking, I've never made chili. Truth be told, even after working in a Mexican restaurant for 21 years, I'm still not a fan of spicy foods and when I think of chili, I generally equate it with that horrible canned stuff that is only good if you mix it with Rotel Mexican tomatoes and Velveta cheese and leave it in a slow cooker for a couple of hours - but that's a whole 'nother thing.

But when we had dinner with our friends Curtis & Felicity last month, she made chili for dinner, and it was so good, The Shepherd asked me if I'd get the recipe from her - she gracefully gave me the ingredient list that she uses - it is kind of a "chop and dump" kind of soup - but I was able to find another similar one on the internet so I'd have an idea of how much spice I should use.


I was pleasantly surprised - it turned out pretty good. The Shepherd got to have his chili and watch the end of a disappointing football game - and he got some cornbread too - which he really liked - even tho the game was a disappointment, the dinner was a hit.




I'm not really a big cornbread fan either - it is always too dry or too "something" (fussy, aren't I?) - but this is the cornbread recipe that I put together for the above mentioned dinner with our friends - to me, meals are always more fun if you make them potluck - after all, we all work all day, why should one person have to do all the work for our dinner. I came up with this recipe - it's not too sweet, not to cakey, and not too dry. It uses a can of "Mexi-corn" as well as a can of creamed corn and has a very good texture.



Cheesy/Corny Cornbread

1 15 oz. pkg. Krusteaz Honey Cornbread Mix
1 16 oz pkg. Marie Callender's Cornbread Mix
1 can of creamed corn
1 can of Green Giant Niblets Mexi-Corn, with liquid
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9x13 cake pan (or 10 x 15 lasagna pan) Mix all ingredients and pour into pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown. Store what you don't eat in the fridge (because of the corn).

2 comments:

Leigh said...

Looks perfect for a day like today. Even here in Southern Appalachia the temps have barely gotten above freezing. My family isn't too keen on chili, so I've given up making it. There's no end to the type of varieties, so somewhere, there must be a recipe to please everyone!

Anonymous said...

C'mon, Gringa...Chili ain't "soup"! Don't ever let them catch you callin' chili soup around these parts, Pilgrim. ;)

And like life, chili is what you make of it - spicy or mild! WaHoo!

Kathy in Airy Zona