Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Mother's Day is not really one of my favorite "holidays" - it reminds me of what I don't have.

This picture of my mom was taken when she was in her early 40's - a small piece cropped out of a family picture. (I have lots of others, but none digitalized - maybe someday I'll buy one of those transfer machines - not tops on my list of things to spend money on at this point though.)

She died February 10, 1978 when she was 58 from cancer. My dad died three months later in May 1978 from cancer.

I see how conflicted my friends are about their aging & dying parents and I think - "Hmm - Been there, done that, got the T-shirt."

We had some wonderful Mom Stories at church today - Some funny, some poignant. But, talk is cheap = If you haven't called your Mom today to tell her "Happy Mother's Day" - get on the stick - do it - someday you'll be glad you did.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Hey Tina,
Thanks for sharing. Mother's Day can be bittersweet for many people, and I think of the many 'holidays' it can be the most difficult to get through. You are so right though--time flies, things change in an instant, so take the time this minute to share with those you love.
Take care,
Tammy

Franna said...

Thanks for the sentiment, and I'm sorry you lost your parents so long ago.

I had brunch with Mom this morning. Every time I visit with her, I wonder why I don't do it more often. Dad's been gone for about 10 years, so I know time is precious.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there!
- Franna

Sharon said...

You got cheated Tina, but I'm glad you have good memories.