Thursday, July 07, 2011

Whew, it's fernly Friday!

It is amazing how a 4 day week can seem so long - so I thought I'd take you on a little walk around The Shepherd's garden and show you some of he beautiful lush ferns that dot the local landscape.

I can't believe that it is July already! (and one friend had the audacity to mention that Halloween is a mere three months away!) Is it too much of a cliche to whine about how fast time has been going?





We had a nice 4th of July - we were invited to a co-worker's family gathering - or I should say "previous" co-worker - he was retired on June 30 as his division was disbanded. I will miss him a lot, as we have worked together for over 17 years! That's nearly as long as I've been married to The Shepherd!!

We've gone to their 4th of July party for about the last 4 or 5 years. He has just the nicest family - His sisters and their families, his kids and grand kids - it is fun to watch how their grand kids have grown over the years.

Another good friend at work was let go this week too. Sad day. I will really miss working with him too.

But my job is going well (except for seemingly spinning my wheels with too many interruptions - I'd do better if I would say "No" to people instead of jumping on their request instead of writing that letter I was supposed to write or doing that one report) I was even supposed to get a new computer this week - the one I have is circa 2003 and moves along like a river of molasses in a snow storm. It almost got put in tonight, but the one main accounting program that we use was incorrectly installed, so I'll have to wait until the tech can re-do it. Maybe tomorrow...

Big news on the home front - We went out to the home of an acquaintance this evening to look at a couple of kitties that she needs to find new furever homes for. Her husband passed away suddenly in December and a friend thought that she needed these two kittens to keep her occupied.

They are about 9 months old and seem to be very well mannered - a little shy - but hey, they didn't know us from Adam. They have been fixed, so we won't have that expense, but will need all their shots and etc. But she wants to be able to travel or leave at the drop of a hat and not have to worry about them, so I think we'll be giving them a new home.

I'm looking forward to having feline companionship again - it's been 5 months since Sinda died - I haven't gone that long with out a cat since college.

We decided to wait until after the 4th of July to bring them home - it has been like living in a war zone here - someone down the road celebrated on the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd and finally again on the 4th. I wouldn't have wanted to put those two babies through that kind of noise.

The sheep? They were kind of skittish about all the noise, but The Shepherd went out and filled the hay feeder up - they "bellied up to the bar" and suddenly it was like "Fireworks, we don't hear no stinkin' fireworks"

I hope you've enjoyed our little visit - and yes, I'll be putting pictures of the "new kids" sometime this weekend.

Oh, and their names are George and Gracie...

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Dang...what a tease! I was hoping to see a picture of the two soon to be new residents. I'm so glad you are getting two. Having the herd here I am amazed at the interaction between them---since I was always told 'cats are solitary' creatures. You'll really enjoy them, I'm sure and they will keep you entertained. (Although the energy levels might be a bit overwhelming at times, since you've not had a youngster in awhile.) Enjoy!
Tammy

vlb5757 said...

I love ferns. Mine don't look that great but they are well on their way. I applied to become a Master Gardener here in VA. I won't know until after July 17. I will be so excited to get accepted. I want to learn how to make my garden look like yours!