Saturday, December 19, 2009

Front Row - Center Stage

Photograph by bhpimages.com
Okay, so we were in the third row back - but in the intimate setting of The Amadeus Project in "beautiful downtown Bellingham - it was like listening to one of my all time favorite artists, David Lanz playing Christmas music in our living room (although I don't think a grand piano would really fit in our living room, but one can always dream...)

We went to his Christmas concert last year (he lives here in B'ham now - it's a new "tradition" - one I hope will continue) We thought it might be an "extravagance" to go to this year's concert (due to "current fiscal conditions") - but it was The Shepherd's idea to go this year and I'm glad we did.

I have been a fan of David's since the late 80's - his Nightfall album got me through a rough patch when a friend moved to California and I thought I was going to die of a broken heart (didn't we always think that???) - I think I practically played the tracts off that disc...

As one of the first recognized "new age" artists, he recorded on the Windham Hill label for many years and has his own label now. I have seen him in concert many times and have never been disappointed. He is engaging and his stories are very entertaining - and he's not afraid to laugh at himself.

Tonight he played a few songs from his newest album "LIVERPOOL . . . Re-imagining the Beatles". Like many of us, he grew up listening to and being inspired by the Beatles and the other great music that came out of Liverpool and it's surrounding area. I haven't listened to the whole album yet, (you can hear snippets of the tracts here or you can also listen to "David Lanz Streaming Radio here). I hope you enjoy his music - I do.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I seemed to remember you were doing something, so didn't bother you. :) I'm glad you and John got an evening out with an appreciated artist.
And thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Cristofori's Dream remains my all-time Lanz favorite; achingly beautiful. Would love to hear him in concert sometime!

Garden Cats + Crafts said...

Dear Tina, friends of Miss Peach are my friends. Thank you for your visit and for your warm words for our little princess Bonnie. It is so very comforting that others can see what himself feels. Thank you for that.
Wish you and your familiy a happy and healthy Christmas, Hugs Birgit