Saturday, December 30, 2017

Teaching an old dog new tricks

Well, I decided to take the Instant Pot plunge.  The programmable electric pressure cooker that had taken the internet by storm.  And I must admit, it's pretty cool.

First off, I don't have any extra space on my kitchen.  One solution, give the bread machine to my church for our garage sale. 

Secondly, they are kinda pricey.  Enter Christmas elf, sister Merrill.  I could get it on sale at Amazon, and it was right in her giving budget.  Woo hoo. 

Gotta love Amazon.  Ordered that baby up and it was here in a day.  Then it sat in the laundry room/back porch for the past month.  I had to find the right time, study the blogs and the recipes, etc, etc, etc. 

Well that roast sitting in the freezer wasn't getting any younger, and I've had a week off to study and read, etc, etc, etc... tonight was the night. Actually it went pretty well.  I didn't blow anything up, and the pot roast was quite tasty.  Mind you it took an hour longer than I thought it would, they say "oh it cooks so much faster", but they don't mention all the time you have to wait around for it to come up to pressure or for the pressure to drop.  But now that I know that, I can allow for it. 

So, it might be a little late in the game for me to have one, but I think I'll enjoy using it.  Didn't have time to take a picture of that beautiful pot roast...someone was very hungry and I think he might have bit me if I said, "oh, wait, I have to take a picture". Ha ha.  Stay tuned for more stories from my kitchen and the Instant Pot

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I think I'll probably just stay behind the times on this one, but I sure laughed out loud at that last bit!

Momma Maria said...

I just read about these in the last month, and I was wondering if they were worth it. You'll have to keep everybody updated with what you try in it, and how it turns out. Have a Happy New Year Tina!

Lilylou said...

I'd been wondering about such a pot too, but I don't have much kitchen space or much inclination to cook a lot of food like roasts. But your experience has been pretty good, so I'll keep wondering about it and if I get some extra $$, maybe I will.

Carol said...

I've been wanting to take the Instant Pot plunge, too, so I bought myself one for the holidays. Then I bought my daughter and daughter-in-law each one. They're having a good time figuring out the tricks of using them, and I get the benefit without having to make the mistakes myself.

Tina T-P said...

I don't know if it would be a boon for a single person, unless you did a lot of cooking, and use a lot of meat, which I know you don't Michelle.... So far, I've cooked the pot roast and last night I steamed some potatoes - (about 1/3 the amount of time for boiling them on the stove, after you figure in the fussing around with the pressure, etc.) I'm going to try brown rice this week - so we'll see how that goes - I think once I'm used to it, I'll probably use it more. The Shepherd, aka Mr. Meat and Potatoes, will appreciate getting his meals done sooner. Happy New Year to all!