Sunday, February 24, 2013

Looking back Sunday & some Random Thoughts...

03-01-2007
No snow for us in the far north corner of the Pacific Northwest in February 2013 - but not so in 2007.  That was the year that The Shepherd hurt his back at work and was bedridden for several weeks.  I took this picture one morning as I went out to feed the flock.  It was beautiful and peaceful out.







03-04-2007


And four days later - all gone and the crocus was up and blooming like nothing had ever happened. 











03-01-2008



It didn't snow the last week in February 2008 and the Shepherd went to a church meeting in Tacoma,  I stayed home to farm-sit.  This was my "reward" - a beautiful bowl of spring flowers for the back porch. 










 But I had other things to do that weekend here at home - I was just learning how to spin.  Sinda is wondering what this fuzzy stuff is - it is the first bump of roving that I ever spun - Blue faced Leicester

Oddly enough, the yarn that I made from this roving ended up being part of the crocheted shroud I wrapped around her body when we buried her in Feb 2011.   



 
02-26-2009



A heavy late night snowfall on Feb 26, 2009 blanketed everything in several inches of the white stuff - are you beginning to see the common thread here? 

02-25-2010
 
Feb 25, 2010 was shearing day.  Remarkably it didn't snow, but it got real cold right after - of course all the sheep were nekked.

Since we aren't having any lambs this year, he hasn't sheared yet, but the sheep are starting to roo (a genetic thing with Shetland Sheep where their wool comes off naturally - probably from all those hundreds of years of living out on the wild coasts of Scotland.)  I just found out today that the shearer we've been trying to get hold of is not an appropriate shearer for a handspinners flock.  We won't continue to try to reach him.


02-26-2010





It was, however,  nice enough in the greenhouse in 2010 that his little bonsai forsythia was blooming













02-25-2011


For some reason I can't find any pictures that I might have taken in Feb. 2011 - Sinda, (my 21 year old kitty) died on Feb. 5.  I think that I just didn't see much beauty in the world that month.

The Shepherd took this picture up at one of his customer's job sites though - notice the date - our end of February snow struck again. 





02-26-2012

The 2012 snow didn't stay long, but it sure looked fierce coming down. 














While somekitty had found a warm place to sleep.  Jeepers creepers he has grown a lot this year.  He doesn't sleep up here much any more because he "flows over the edge" and it's not really very comfortable.  His new happy warm spot is the heater vent in the bathroom. 





And there is nothing better on a cold snowy weekend (or even one that isn't cold and snowy) than to snuggle down with a good book.  Nora Roberts' publisher is raking in the bucks re-releasing some of her older (and far less "racy") novels.  And even though I've read them before - - can't put them down -

I got Maeve Binchy's last novel "A Week In Winter" last week - I stayed up WAY too late several nights in a week - "just one more chapter" - I will really miss her writing.

February 2013

So this is what it has looked like for much of February 2013 - Grey and soggy.  But at least it didn't SNOW!  Sorry Boston...



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the look back and random thoughts. Happy Sunday!

Tammy said...

That was a 'cool' look at the past. It's fun to be able to review the blog and see how things compare. George looks very happy and healthy. :-)
I'm ready for Spring. We've had an okay winter, but I fear it will be another dry summer.

Tammy

Katnip Lounge said...

I think this was a great concept for a post! Very enjoyable.

I also stayed up too late reading "A Week in Winter". "Tara Road" is my favorite, but this one was close.

Michelle said...

We haven't had much snow OR rain down here. I'm trying to enjoy it and not fret about summer....

wildcatwoods said...

Thank you very much for your comforting words of sympathy in the passing of our beloved Chica.

cats of wildcat woods