Saturday, November 14, 2009

More yarn for church auction

Eeek - what a week!

First off - the class from Judith McKenzie McCuin was fantastic - the three days just sped by and I took a lot of pictures and we did a LOT of spinning - so I have lots to tell you, but haven't had the time to down load the pics & edit them. (picture a little frowny face here...)

Next time I take one of her classes, (and there will be a next time for sure, - I swear to god, the woman must be related to the pied piper...now I understand why some people would follow her anywhere - but that's another blog subject) anyhow, the next time I take one of her classes, I will take off a day before the class - to get ready and to do all the things that I would normally do on Saturday - like laundry, etc - then I would definitely take the day after the class off - to absorb all the stuff I learned, finish all the projects I didn't get finished during class and to rest - I couldn't believe how tired I was after three days of spinning!

Got back to work and the reality of it all . We're still dealing with the "train wreck" that the new accounting system has caused in our office. If anyone ever tells you that "Total Office Manager" by Aptora is a great idea for new software for your office - jump off a cliff first - It will hurt less - trust me... Oh, it does have some good points - new things always do, but, phew - parts of it really stink! And that's all I'm going to say about it for now, anyhow...

Our church auction is tomorrow night. I promised them I would bring three things - 8 ounces of handspun yarn - this is what you see drying in our bathroom (luckily we have two and don't use this shower) - it is "potluck roving" from Kathy Green in Ferndale, in a colorway called "Wild Iris". I didn't like how it spun up at first - It is REALLY green - I mean GREEN - and you couldn't really see the blue, white and yellow bits - but once I washed it, it seemed better somehow. I think it will make a cute hat or pair of slippers.

Speaking of hats, the second thing I said I'd bring is made from the targhee that I talked about last week. It spun up so beautifully - I promised a hat and a pair of wrist warmers. The wrist warmers are done and I just finished the hat tonight - I used one of the patterns that I used last year for my Christmas hats - it has "bobbles" all over it - really cute, I thought. I'll take pictures tomorrow in the daylight.

The third thing is a man's hat made from yarn I had left over from last year's hat projects - pretty easy pattern - but it seemed like it was going to be really heavy, so I have added some rows of double crochet - hopefully that will lighten it up - I'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully I'll get that hat done tomorrow, but there is a lot of competition for my time. The Skagit fleece and wool sale is tomorrow a.m. and our spinner guild meeting is tomorrow as well - with a stroke of luck, they are only a couple of miles apart and the wool sale starts first - I even sold some of my handspun yarn to one of the guys that I work with - he paid me today, so I have some "seed money", no?

So, it's off to bed for me - the candle that I've been burning at both ends is getting shorter and shorter -

P.S. I forgot to tell you - I also took in a Whatcom Weaver's Guild meeting on Wednesday night - Kim Werker, the woman who started the Crochet Me web site was speaking - she is a great story teller and brought up some very interesting points about the disparity between the fiber arts. More later..........

4 comments:

Jody said...

Please do share some of Goddess Judith's wisdom with us when you get a chance :))))

Kathy said...

I guess it's a good thing I got a migraine and was knocked down for most of today...I would have been trying to call only to find nobody home. ;)
Since tomorrow is uber-busy for you, I'll wait until I hear from you. :)

Sharon said...

Lovely yarn Tina. I've taken several classes from Judith and had the fortunate to spend a week in retreat with her. I know exactly what you mean.

Mim said...

Great going! What a fabulous three days you must have had doing fiber stuff!!