Thursday, November 06, 2008

Dona Nobis Pacem



Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream
by Ed McCurdy (original copywrite 1950)

Last night I had the strangest dream, I'd ever dreamed before
I dreamed the world had all agreed to put an end to war
I dreamed I saw a mighty room and the room was filled with men
And the paper they were signing said they'd never fight again.

And when the paper all was signed and a million copies made,
They all joined hands and bowed their heads and grateful prayers were prayed
And the people in the streets below were dancing round and round
While swords and guns and uniforms were scattered on the ground.

Last night I had the strangest dream, I'd ever dreamed before,
I dreamed the world had all agreed, to put an end to war.


Chords: ( C - F C/G Em/Am Dm G C / F C G C )

My favorite version of this song is sung by Joan Baez - I have never been able to sing it without crying. I hope some day, in my lifetime, it will not be such a strange dream.

Dona Nobis Pacem.

5 comments:

Sharrie said...

I share your sentiments about peace. Do your remember "Another Mother for Peace" from the Vietnam era? You are a little young. I rejoined and wore my pendant again that says: "War isn't healthy for children and other living things."

Kanani said...

Thanks for sharing.

Rascal said...

My mom says she remembers that song too. Peace to me means Catzee minding her own business.

Sharon said...

Today, I have hope. Tomorrow I wish it as well. I'm afraid to hope. I have hoped for so long. I had hope when I went to the Aztec Bowl at San Diego State University after Martin Luther King was shot. I still believed then and I hope I can still believe.

Mimi Lenox said...

Lovely peace globe! Thank you for participating again. We all still believe that peace is possible. That is my prayer.

Peace to you and yours,
Mimi