Saturday, January 21, 2017

Yes, Women's Rights ARE Human Rights

Today was, I hope, a pivotal day for America, and the world.  Nearly 5 million people world wide marched in solidarity - not to protest the new administration, but to remind it that Women's Rights are Human Rights, "regardless of a woman’s race, ethnicity, religion, immigration status, sexual identity, gender expression, economic status, age or disability"

Human Rights should come first, not greed, not bullying,

Inspired by the Women's March on Washington there were almost 700 "Sister Marches" all around the US and around the world  (VISIT: SISTER MARCHES here)

The city of Bellingham, that The Shepherd & I call home had a march today. - I saw one report that there was an estimated 5000 people there. 

 

  You can see from this picture (sent to me by a friend from church, thanks Sonja) how big the crowds were.  
Sadly, I did not feel that I was physically up to the challenge to go - The Shepherd said - "Well we could have gotten you a wheel chair" - and "Who would have pushed it", I asked? 

So I lived vicariously through my church friends - This is our God-daughter and her mom.  (and many thanks to Margot for these two pictures)
Our Minister, Rev. Amy, with another group of our members.  I am looking forward to hearing all about it tomorrow at church! 




 Meanwhile, on the "other side of the State" - my older sister lives in YAKIMA, WA.  It is, to say the least, a "conservative" area, but she and several other members of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Yakima, encouraged and inspired by the other marches that were being planned all around the US began planning their own.  They had imagined that they might get between 250-400 people - They got over 1000!  My sister was beyond thrilled.  (That is her just to the right of the banner, carrying the bright pink sign - "1972, An original Ms.")




 The march ended up at their church which is in downtown Yakima.

Blessings on all those who have spend the past couple of months, planning and working (and knitting those crazy pink Pussy-Hats).

May you sleep well tonight, safe in the knowledge that a new day has dawned, and it looks like it's going to be a good one. 







2 comments:

Lilylou said...

I was one of the Astoria organizers and one of the speakers at the pre-March rally. We hoped and planned for a few hundred, if we were lucky. Unofficial estimates at this point put our March at 1500-2000! We were overwhelmed and pleased.

Glad the Bellingham march was just as glorious!

Anonymous said...

Your post made me cry Tina. Thank you for your inspirational words.